Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Images - The world
- California State university provides access to over 80,000 images from around the world.
- People, Places, Events, Sports and Culture images from 1750 to today from LIFE
- Library of Congress. Use the drop down menu that says "All Formats" and choose "Photo, Print, Drawing", then type in your topic
- View the United Nations photo galleries or search their entire collection.
- New York Public Library has an amazing collection of images on many topics. Specific collections will be duplicated in the geographic listings on the right.
- The Smithsonian (SIRIS) offers over 500,000 images divided into several categories including culture group and physical format
- Retronaut's unique and fascinating images are not reviewed and may have been manipulated or present satire. While all can be considered art, they may not be historically accurate.
- San Diego City College Photography Department
Images - Americas
- African American images, 16th centruy to the present from NYPL
- American Revolution and early United States from the NYPL
- These sculptures from the National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI) represent peoples from North, Central, and South America from the earliest times through the present. Browse or you can search by type of item, culture or geographic location. These photographs from the NMAI date back to the begining of photographic history. This collection may be searched by culture groups as well.
- Calisphere offeres images and primary documents of California from the earliest times through the 1970s.
- The Library of Congress offers prints and photographs online from their collections.
- Ellis Island, 1902-1913 from the NYPL - The island and those who entered there
- Native American portraits from 1627-1830 from NYPL
- Picturing America, 1497-1899 from the NYPL
- North and Central American photos from the American Geographical Society organized by country and city
- South American photos from the American Geographical Society organized by country and city
- USA.gov provides images on just about everything
Images - Pacific Islands
- Pacific Islands, 1947-1988 photographs from University of Hawaii Trust Territory Archives